Thursday, July 2, 2015

Parent Brush-Offs: How to Handle “I Don’t Have Time For This”




If you're an educator, then I'm sure you've encountered your fair share of parent brush-offs.

Dealing with parent's who are avoiding communication is a challenging obstacle to overcome.  The reason for the brush-off may vary from confronting a scholar's inappropriate behavior to discussing a plan of action for academic improvement.

It is at this moment persistence must prevail.  This triangle of communication (scholar/parent/school) is the make or break for scholar achievement.

Here are 2 common parent brush-off's and how to handle them while emphasizing urgency and accountability.  

"I don't have time to talk right now."


As teachers, we get it.  Parents are very busy professionals and there's a good chance our call is interrupting something "important."

Once the parent/guardian realizes that the call may be of serious concern, you'll hear "I don't have time to talk right now."  Boom!

In my first few years in the classroom, I would respond with "Sorry for interrupting!  I'll call later."  This response frequently failed because there wasn't a clear "next step."  What does "call later" even mean?

Instead, try this:

Parent:  "I don't have time to talk right now."

Teacher:  (silence - don't say a word!)

Parent:  "Hello?  Are you there?"

Teacher:  "Of course.  I thought you were checking your calendar for a better time for us to discuss [scholars name] [issue].

Once parents hear that response, you'll walk away with a date and time to discuss concerns.

"Can you just send me some practice/information."


As educators, we strive to provide students with the tools they need to be successful.  We don't just send worksheet after worksheet so the parent can keep their child busy at home.

Send home strategies the parent can utilize and follow up to hold them accountable.

Parent:  "I can't talk right now.  Can you send home more [concept/skill] practice?"

Teacher:  "Sure!  I will call you tomorrow evening to get your feedback on what I've sent home with [student name] tonight."

If the parent agrees to the follow-up, then they are on board!  In the follow-up, ask the parent what they noticed and how they helped.  You may realize that the parent is also having trouble with the concept, which should lead to an in-person meeting.

Some parents equate tons of homework with success and that's usually not the case.  Without truly taking the time to discuss the student struggles, the parent is avoiding the issue at hand.


No comments:

Post a Comment